"We do not grow absolutely, chronologically. We grow sometimes in one dimension, and not in another; unevenly. We are relative. We are mature in one realm, childish in another. The past, present, and future mingle and pull us in backward, forward, or fix us in the present. We are made up of layers, cells, constellations." --Anias Nin

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Good signs

Life continues to be filled with simple joys and hopes for the future

There were some new visitors to our birdfeeders this week, who stuck around long enough to have a bite to eat and endure me snapping pictures like the paparazzi. 

First there were the American Goldfinches on January 24th sporting their muted winter colors:




This morning we had a Northern Flicker, who decided to join the ranks of the Red-bellied and Downy Woodpeckers who have also stopped by this winter.

Northern Flicker

Downy Woodpecker, acrobat.

Our resident sparrows were very polite and patient as they waited for the strangers to finish up and be on their way.




I also saw a Red-tailed hawk flying around a few blocks away above a town of prairie dogs, but alas, that image was only captured in my mind, not on my memory card.

All is well.

3 comments:

Ciscos said...

Sparrows have always been my favorites. They are not majestic, or awe-inspiring. They are meek, quiet, and unassuming. I guess they represent what I would like to be. What bird are you, Emily? I would say one that is adventurous, who travels far and wide to see the world. And one who has a perky chip/call - to represent your optimism. :)
Love you, birdy!
Jayme

Ariel said...

I don't know about that top sparrow being patient. It looks like he's about to cut a bitch... with his stubby, powerful beak of course.

Drifter in the Driftless said...

Hahaha, yeah our sparrows are usually not that demure, I think they were just shocked by the new arrivals!

I really wanted to make a 'birds of a feather flock together' joke, but couldn't quite get it together. I hope you guys will somehow read my mind and get the idea.